Biophysical profile of fetus Is a complex assessment of the fetal status according to the stress test (NST) using ultrasound.
NST - is one of the main methods of antenatal assessment of the functional state of the fetus. The test is based on the natural functional response of the fetal heart activity in response to its movements, associated with the myocardium due to the reflex.
The biophysical profile of the fetus includes five parameters, the positive result of each of which is estimated by a 2-bazaryu system:
- Respiratory movements (the norm is the presence of at least one episode of respiratory movements lasting 30 seconds for 30 minutes);
- Fetal movements (at least three simultaneous limb and trunk movements within 30 min);
- Tonus of the fetus (for 30 minutes at least one episode of fetal movements with limbs with a bending position in the extensor and a quick return to the previous state);
- NST - an increase in heart rate of 15 seconds or more, for 10-20 minutes of observation in response to fetal movements;
- Quantity of amniotic fluid - in two mutually perpendicular projections the column of amniotic fluid should be determined not less than 2 cm.
Prognostic the value of the biophysical profile of the fetus is large in assessing the functional state of the intrauterine fetus, especially in conditions such as acute or chronic hypoxia, premature discharge of amniotic fluid, development of chorionamnionitis, etc.