Vitamins play a very important role in the vital activity of all organs and systems, including vitamins beta carotene . These biologically active substances, in our body they are not produced, but come to us through food. Therefore, vitamins beta carotene indication for use should be considered in more detail.
Beta carotene and its participation in the body:
This vegetable pigment is yellow-orange and provides the color of most brightly-colored vegetables and fruits: spinach, tomatoes, pumpkin, apricots, persimmons and broccoli, but the greatest amount of beta carotene is still contained in carrots, which explains its bright orange color. It performs two functions: the precursor of vitamin A and being an antioxidant protects our body from free radicals.
As an antioxidant, beta carotene is involved in the activity of the immune system. The thing is that lymphocytes, white blood cells, in the process of their life will create free radicals, as they are formed in other cells of the body under the influence of various environmental factors, viruses and bacteria. Free radicals do not always bring harm, they participate in some biological reactions, but their excess is harmful, since they can destroy proteins, nucleic acids and cell membranes. As a protection against these damages, the body synthesizes its own antioxidants, but they are not enough, and in this case, we need beta carotene, which we can get with food or as part of vitamin-mineral complexes. Especially when exposed to adverse factors: stress, illness, etc. As an antioxidant beta carotene strengthens the immune system, reduces the risk of developing infectious diseases, weakens the effect of harmful environmental factors on the body: chemical, electromagnetic radiation, radiation, increases resistance to stressful situations and adaptability.
As a precursor of vitamin A, from one molecule in our body, two molecules of vitamin A are synthesized, and it in turn performs many functions: cell growth and differentiation, improves the immune system, greater resistance to infections, is needed for good vision, especially for the retina, improves the function of the mucous membranes digestive system and respiratory tract). It is necessary for the health of teeth, bones, skin, nails and hair. For the reproductive function of the body and the activity of the sex glands.
Why does our body need beta carotene, not vitamin A itself? The fact is that vitamin A, although our body needs it, but in large dosages it harms us. When an overdose occurs such complications as disorders in the work of the gastrointestinal tract, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, joint pain, itching of the skin, allergic reactions, etc. A beta carotene is absorbed by our body exactly as much as it needs, and the residues are released to the outside, or accumulate in the subcutaneous fat layer, activated if necessary, only in the right amount, plus it is not toxic.
Vitamin A (retinol) is found only in animal fats: butter, egg yolk, fish oil, liver of some fish and sea animals (cod, perch, salmon, whale, seal, walrus), and beta carotene, only in plant foods, which is very important for people who do not eat animal fat for one reason or another.
Indications for the use of beta carotene:
Use for the prevention of radiation sickness, due to the fact that it has protective properties against radiation.
1. It is indicated for use in cancer diseases, beta carotene restores damaged cells and inhibits the reproduction of cancer cells, reduces side effects from chemo- and radiotherapy.
2. Diseases of the digestive tract, contributes to a decrease in acidity in the stomach, with gastric ulcer and 12 intestines, gastritis, enterocolitis, especially with atrophic gastritis.
3. In diseases of cardiovascular diseases, and cerebral vessels. Reduces the risk of myocardial infarction, reduces the risk of thrombosis, and vascular sclerosis.
4. With kidney and liver diseases: hepatitis, pyelonephritis, nephritis, toxic liver damage.
5. It is indicated for use in the presence of eye disease: myopia, chicken (night) blindness, cataracts, pathologies of the retina and yellow spot, increased work in front of the computer.
6. Dysfunctional work of the immune system, the action is to normalize the work of phagocytosis.
7. Diseases of the skin and subcutaneous tissue: psoriasis, purulent eruptions, burns, frostbites, eczema, neurodermatitis, it restores the epidermis and improves wound healing, normalizes sebum secretion, improves hair and nail growth.
8. Pregnancy, lactation.
9. For the treatment of diseases of the reproductive system, including infertility.
10. For the prevention of hypovitaminosis A.
11. Diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract.
12. Prevention of stone formation in the gallbladder.
Whatever the good indications for the use of beta carotene, there are still contraindications: allergic reactions to products containing it: carrots, sea buckthorn, tomato, peach, apricot, etc., decreased thyroid function (hypothyroidism), since this process disrupts the process of beta-carotene treatment in vitamin A.
Need for beta carotene an adult is 5 mg per day, and vitamin A is 1 mg. At the same time, it is recommended to take with vitamin E, as they jointly enhance the effect of each other and improve absorption in the intestine. It is also recommended to take vitamin C.
Overdose vitamin beta carotene, is manifested by staining the sclera and skin in icteric color, due to its accumulation in the skin.
Beta carotene is a part of many biological active additives, and before you start using them, you should definitely consult a doctor.